It’s a new year full of excitement and possibilities. We wrapped up 2016, and we are hopefully off to a wonderful start in 2017. If you haven’t already done a 2016 year-in-review, let me encourage you to go ahead and take some time to do just that. Review everything that God did in and through your ministry in 2016. Whether it’s the media team, the lighting team, the A/V team, the video team, the sound team, the worship team, the creative team, whatever team you are a part of, a review of 2016 can help your ministry thrive in 2017. Go through each month, each Sunday, each gathering, and reflect the ways in which God moved.
This exercise will reap many benefits. Here are some of those benefits:
- You will have an inventory of what worked well and what did not
- You will start recalling best practices as you approach similar events in the future
- By doing this in a team setting (highly recommended), you will enjoy the benefits of team building through laughter and many aha moments
- You will know to get a head start on those projects that may have taken a little longer than expected
- Most importantly, you will be able to praise God for how He worked in 2016 that you may not have considered.
- By remembering how God moved in the past, you and your team can have faith in God’s future grace and provision
There is a story in 1 Samuel where we get that wonderful word that often needs explaining when singing “Come Thou Fount.” That word is Ebenezer.
The word is found in 1 Samuel 7 verse 12. “Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, ‘Till now the Lord has helped us.’” So what exactly is an Ebenezer? It’s a monument: a place of remembrance where future generations can look back and remember what the Lord has done.